Tonight I made a tray of homemade jalapeño roasted poppers, and they were yummy! I made my first batch over the Christmas holidays, and I modified the recipe a bit further and liked it even better. It was also popular with the rest of my family. Here’s what I did. I’m sharing this for my own future reference, as well as to possibly inspire you to try these. If you use this, please let me know by sharing a comment on this post or a tweet to @wfryer. I waited about a week after purchasing the jalapeños this time, and that made them ripen and taste a bit spicier. They were still pretty tame though, since I removed all the seeds. I used the “regular” jalapeños from our WalMart Neighborhood Market.
- Two bars of cream cheese
- Four pieces of bacon
- 15 medium sized jalapeños
- 1 tablespoon minced onion flakes
- Half tablespoon dried cilantro
- One cup Mexican style shredded Kraft “Four Cheese”
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (from a jar)
- Fry bacon, set aside
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, if necessary microwave at 50% power one minute to soften cheese. (I did this twice, stirring in between)
- Cut up bacon and add to the mix
- Halve and seed jalapeños
- Use a knife to put the mix in the jalapeños
- Bake 15 minutes at 350°
Modified from this Rachel Ray recipe!