Learning Signs

Our Family Learning Blog

Learning Signs header image 2

charlotte’s web

October 7th, 2008 by Sarah · 7 Comments

I am reading Charlotte’s web in class and I wanted to share it with you.

Tags: books · school · sister

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 A worthless worksheet and a voluntary VoiceThread » Moving at the Speed of Creativity // Oct 7, 2008 at 10:57 pm

[...] So, what is a father and educator to do in such a homework quandary? Merely write a complaining blog post after the kids have gone to bed? Of course not! We spent about an hour together planning and sharing a short VoiceThread reflection about Charlotte’s Web tonight that she posted to our family lea…. [...]

• 2 Sandra McGonagle // Oct 8, 2008 at 9:52 am

Sarah,

I loved your VoiceThread about Charlotte’s Web. It is one of my favorite books. I especially liked your “thinking questions” and answers. I am going to share this with my two boys, a 2nd grader and Kindergartner. Right now we’re reading The Magic Tree House #22, and I would love to do something similar with them. Thanks for the great idea, Sarah!

• 3 Chan Bliss // Oct 8, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Sarah,
    I saw the pigs on your dads blog and had to stop and read about them. When I was younger I read Charlotte’s Web too and really liked it. I liked it so much I started collecting pigs (not real ones my mom would not let me) I still collect pigs and have about 150 of them at my house (my wife only lets me put out about 20)
    I also still use a line from Charlotte’s Web when kids come into my classroom. I greet them with “Salutations!” and at about third grade the students will start to tell me that they learned that word in, you guessed it, Charlotte’s Web.
    I tried to leave a comment on your voice thread but I think only my picture showed up, I’ll have to get some of the kids to see if they can make it work.
    I’ve added your blog to my RSS and look forward to more stories from third grade.
    Chan Bliss

• 4 ken // Oct 8, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Sarah,
    I’m a Tech Coach/English teacher at Springfield Twp. HS in PA.

Voice Thread is a great tool, and teachers and students in our school are beginning to use it more and more.

A science class is using it to create their own CSI mysteries.

A Spanish class is using it to create ‘scary, Halloween’ stories in the target language.

A 10th grade History class is about to use it to tell stories from WWII. Each student will take on the role of a different historical figure and express their varying ideas, feeling, and experiences during the war.

Would you mind if I used your Voice Thread as an example for future teachers and students?

Yay learning!

• 5 Wesley Fryer // Oct 8, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Sarah has gone to bed for the night but I’ll vouch for her and say yes, Ken! I’d love to see the student VoiceThread examples you’re mentioning myself– do you have a link to them?

• 6 Faye Valbert // Oct 9, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Sarah,
    Great Voice thread; great pictures.
    I, too, love Charlotte’s We4b and pigs.
    Keep up the good work.
    You are so lucky to have such an “educated” dad (probably mom too!).
    You will go far in your life because you are thinking creatively and I hope you do that the rest of your life!
    Mrs. V

• 7 ken // Oct 21, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Here are two links:
    German class acting as curators at a museum and

Spanish class telling myths in target language. If you’d like more, let me know.